1946 – 1949: Teaching at St. Mary’s Secondary School Tabora
Nyerere was employed as a teacher at St. Mary’s Secondary School at Tabora (teaching Biology and English).
1953 – 1955: Teaching at St. Francis Secondary School at Pugu near Dar es Salaam
On return from Edinburgh to what was then the Trust Territory of Tanganyika, Nyerere resumed teaching, this time at a leading school, St. Francis College at Pugu near Dar es Salaam. He was teaching History, English and Kiswahili. Besides teaching, he was actively involved in community activities outside school. While teaching at St. Mary’s Tabora, he helped in establishing a co-operative shop in Tabora Town in order to fight exploitation. He also accepted to serve as a branch secretary of the Tabora branch of the African Association. Through such activities, he became very popular and earned the confidence and respect of the people he worked with. He held with great conviction that the purpose of education was to serve humankind.
1963 – 1970: Chancellor of the East African University
1970 – 1992: Chancellor of the Sokoine University of Agriculture