The Mwalimu Nyerere Foundation’s work is based on Mwalimu Nyerere’s philosophy and belief in the fundamental principle that all humanity, regardless of their differences, are the purpose and justification for the existence of any human activities in a given society. This philosophy demands that communities everywhere should enjoy and develop themselves within the context of freedom, liberty, democracy, good governance and social justice.
The principles promoted by the Foundation, are derived from the philosophy that Mwalimu Julius Kambarage Nyerere practiced and believed in. They are:
- Belief in human equality,
- Freedom and social responsibility,
- Respect for human diversity and human dignity,
- Conviction that people are central to any concept and process of development,
- African unity,
- Accountability and transparency,
- Gender equity and equality.
Belief in the mutually beneficial cooperation among countries of the global south, and between the South and the North – In particular the establishment of an equitable international political and economic order.